You’re planning to put lights on your go-kart without a battery but don’t know how to do that.
Hence, you’re searching for ideas on how to put lights on go kart without battery.
It’s possible to put lights on go-karts without a battery. You can use a DC generator motor as a dynamo to produce current for the lights. Another way of putting lights on a go-kart without a battery is to simply use rechargeable LED lights.
The process seems fairly easy but some vital factors are there that you need to be aware of. This article covers every in and out of putting lights on a go-kart without a battery.
Can You Put Lights On Go-Kart Without Battery?
Yes, you can put lights on the go-kart without a battery. Even an RV converter can work without a battery as well.
You can use a generator motor to generate current from the moving parts of the cart. And, supply the generated current to the lights through wires.
Another way of putting lights on a go-kart without a battery is to use rechargeable LED lights.
The following section covers the step-by-step guide to installing a generator motor and its wiring.
Method 1: Putting Lights on Go-kart Using A Generator Motor
To put lights on your go-kart without a battery, you’ll need some tools to start with. The tools are as follows.
- A 24V 350W motor – (To generate current for the lights)
- A 12V DC step-down converter – (To regulate the output voltage from the motor)
- A tachometer – (To measure the motor’s RPM)
- Some 12 gauge wires – (To connect the motor with the converter)
- Some 16 gauge wires – (To connect the lights with the converter)
- A pair of On-Off switches – (To operate the headlight and tail light)
- A Soldering iron kit – (To solder the wires)
- A wire cutter – (To cut the wires)
- Mounting brackets – (To mount the motor)
As you now have the required tools, let’s jump onto the steps to set up the motor.
How to Set Up the Generator Motor in a Go-kart?
Here’s the step-by-step guide for setting up the generator motor in the go-kart.
Step 1: Get a motor that is rated for at least 24 volts and 350 watts. But don’t go over 36 volts.
Usually, you’ll get around 75%-80% return current from the motor spinning at its max RPM. You’ll find the RPM rating in the product manual.
For a 24-volt, 350-watt, and 3,000 RPM motor, here’s the output at 70% efficiency. These output values are applicable for this motor spinning at 3,000 RPM.
- 16.8 volts
- 245 watts
Step 2: Mount the motor beside the tire or the axle. Make sure the motor spins with the tire or axle. You can use pulleys or any other gearing pinion that suits your cart.
[Pro tip: Make sure the motor isn’t spinning faster than the rated RPM. This will damage the motor from overheating. You can measure the motor RPM using a tachometer. If the RPM gets higher than its rated RPM, you need to down gear the motor.]
[Pro tip: The output current of the motor will change with the motor’s spinning direction. So, make sure to identify the poles of the motor before connecting to the converter.]
Step 4: Connect the DC 12V LED lights to the output connection of the converter. Make sure to match the poles of the converter and the lights. Use 16 gauge wires here as the converter can produce up to 10 amps of current.
[Pro tip: Connect all the lights in parallel so that every light gets the same 12V current. The following diagram portrays the connection for your convenience.]
Step 5: Mount the lights at your convenient places and you’re good to go. The lights will get power whenever you run the go-kart.
However, as there’s no battery, the lights will go off once the kart stops. In addition, the illumination of the lights will fluctuate with your kart’s speed as well.
Now, let’s find out how many lights can you put on in this method.
How Many Lights Can You Put Using a Generator Motor?
You can put as many lights as you wish meeting the following criteria.
- The total wattage of the lights doesn’t exceed the output wattage of the motor. Remember, you should expect around 70% efficiency at the respective RPM of the motor.
- The lights’ operating voltage is rated at 12 volts. You can alter this criterion based on the step-down converter you use.
- The lights run on a DC current. You can alter this criterion as well. But you then need to convert the DC current to AC using an additional circuit.
- Connect the lights in parallel connection. This is because the voltage changes in a series connection.
That was all about the number of lights you can put on without a battery.
Let’s find out some precautionary measures to pull off this project properly.
The following are the factors you need to keep in mind for a DIY dynamo lighting setup.
- Properly solder the wires as the connection can get loose with vibration.
- Properly insulate the wires to avoid any shorts in the circuit.
- Ensure proper mounting of the motor as a loose mount can fall off at any time. And, this could cause severe injury if it occurs at high speeds.
So, that was all about putting lights on the go-kart using a generator motor. However, you can alter the motor or the converter based on your specific needs.
Method 2: Putting Lights on Go-kart Using Rechargeable LED
The easiest way to avoid putting the battery on a go-kart is to use rechargeable LED lights.
However, there are many rechargeable LED headlights available on the market. But you need to choose the light that has the following characteristics.
- The light must have enough illumination power.
- The light must be waterproof.
- The battery life of the light should be long enough to support long rides.
In our case, we’ve found the Rechargeable Spotlight Flashlights to be the best for go-karts.
It’s waterproof and can produce up to 90,000 lumens. In addition, the 9,600mAh battery can last up to 10 hours. And, the best part of this light is that it has a built-in solar panel to self-recharge.
But, how do you set up the LED light on your go-kart?
You can use some heavy-duty zip ties to tie the lights. Another way of holding the light in place is to use a custom mounting bracket. This is a bit cumbersome but is a more secure way to set up the light.
So, that’s all about putting lights on a go-kart without a battery. Hope you enjoyed the article.
Why won’t my go-kart engine start?
A go-kart engine usually fails due to a lack of power or fuel shortage. Checking your battery to make sure it is fully charged is your first priority in this case. The next step is to check your gas to ensure sufficient supply to the engine.
What are the prices of electric go-karts?
An electric go-kart costs approximately $12,000 on average. Entry-level electric go-karts with standard features come for around $8,000. And, more advanced go-karts can be purchased for around $12,000. However, the price range can also be considerably higher due to upgrades and modifications.
What is the Top Speed of a 200cc Go-Kart?
A 4-stroke 200cc go-kart can reach up to 75 mph. A 2-stroke 200cc, in contrast, can reach up to 120 mph. However, these karts meet all of the safety and operational standards for amateur drivers. Additionally, these give passionate racers the power and control they need to drive safely at full speed.
That’s all about how to put lights on a go kart without a battery.
The steps are quite easy to follow. Hopefully, you understood the process and will be able to follow them.
If you have any questions, comment down and let us know.
Until then, happy racing!