- You will need the proper charger that matches your car’s battery
- Get a pair of gloves and safety goggles before you start handling the battery and charger
- The dead batteries need to be connected to outlet for around 12 hours
Charging the battery is part of routine maintenance once you own a car. Charging the battery, yourself is an easy task once you get the basics. It will not only make you more confident in car diagnosis but also save some bucks. Once you finish this post, you will have enough knowledge to charge the battery yourself.
When charging a battery with a wall outlet, all you have to keep in mind is how to connect the wires in the right way. Once you master that, rest is easy.
How To Charge A Car Battery With A Wall Outlet?
You have to take preparation in two parts. In the first part, you will have to gather adequate gear and equipment. Then proceed to charge the battery.
- Get a pair of hand gloves and an eye safety goggle. As the battery contains acid inside, you take every step with caution. Wear safety goggles before you start.
- Identify which type of battery you are using. For example, Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries are maintenance-free. They are usually known as Absorbed Glass Mat batteries. On the other hand, wet cell batteries require extra like adding water. They are serviceable which means you can take steps to extend their life.
- Now you should get the battery charger. Make sure you are using the right unit that suits your battery.
- Then disconnect the battery from the car. Clean the terminals. Dirty terminals disrupt electricity flow which lowers the charging speed. Keep in mind not to touch the battery with a bare hand as there can be acid spillage on the battery.
2. Charging the battery:
- First of all, place the charger on a flat surface. Never ever put the charger on top of the battery. It can cause from short circuit to fire in the worst case. Also, make sure not to put the charger on top of an electrical conductor.
- Take the ground/black ( Negative symbol ) wire of the charger and connect it to the ground terminal of the battery. In the same way, connect the positive wire ( Plus symbol ) of the charger to the positive end of the battery.
- Some chargers will let you select the voltage or ampere. In some, you can set criteria when to stop the charging. In case your charger supports these features then set settings that suit the battery.
- If the battery is completely dead then you will have to charge it for 12 hours. For a partially depleted battery charge it for a few hours and then check the voltage with a voltmeter. Once the voltage reacher to the optimal level, then disconnect the battery from the outlet.
Fig: Diagram of how to charge a car battery with a charger
Battery Testing Chart
|Terminal Voltage||Percentage||Charging Status||Battery Status|
|> 12.4||> 60%||Battery is charged||Normal|
|12.4 – 12.0||25% – 60%||The battery is partly Charged||Abnormal|
|< 12.0||< 25%||The battery is not charged||Sulfate risk|
Car Battery Maintenance Tips
- Battery efficiency starts to drop after two years. You should replace the battery every four years.
- Keeping the battery clean as dirty can reduce battery effectiveness.
- Do not leave your car without driving for a long time. The battery still drains when not in use.
- Do not overcharge the battery because it will reduce battery life.
- Regularly check the acid and water levels. Routinely diagnose the battery for problems.
- Keep the cables tidy and clean. Although they don’t seem much, they play a very important role in electricity conduction.
The Best Chargers for Car Battery
Amazon Basics Battery Charger: It is compatible with deep-cycle, absorbed glass mat (AGM), and lead-acid battery types. The fused ring terminal makes it easy to use in both home and garage. The spark-proof reverse protection makes it extra safe.
NOCO GENIUS1: This compact charger delivers more than its predecessor although its size is smaller. It can automatically detect sulfonation. You can manually select voltage to begin charging dead batteries.
Schumacher SC1309 Battery Charger: There is a built-in tester that can diagnose the electrical problem. The float mode maintains an optimum level of battery charge. There is a microprocessor that is in charge of adjusting the amperage rate when the battery is charging.
Ferquently Asked questions (fAQs):
Can I charge a car battery from a wall outlet?
Yes, you can charge a battery from a wall outlet but you might need an inverter. Also, jump-starting a battery can be one of many ways to recharge a dead battery.
How can I charge a car battery with electricity at home?
You will need an inverter to charge a battery at home. The inverter has to be in between the battery and the power outlet.
How long does it take to charge a car battery with a wall charger?
It depends on the amperage of the current flow. If the amp is low, then it can take as long as 12 hours to be completely charged.
How long should you leave a car running to charge the battery?
You should drive the car for around 30 minutes to make sure the battery is charging.
Can you hook an outlet to a car battery?
Yes, you can use an outlet to charge a car battery. But will have to use an inverter.
Can you fully charge a car battery with jumper cables?
Using jumper cables is one of the many ways to charge a battery. With proper setup, you can fully charge a car battery with jumper cables.
The battery is one of the most integral parts of the car. It is the device that gives the first push to the engine when the user starts the car. Besides, the battery also takes care of all the computers, lights, and electrical equipment. For these reasons, charging the battery in the right way has utmost importance.